The year is March-ing on! Yep, it's true . . . hard to believe we're already three months in to 2023. Do you need ideas on how to make the most of the month of March in Conejo Valley, Malibu, Calabasas, Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, Oak Park, Westlake Village and nearby with your family? Finding family fun is Macaroni KID's job - so we are here to help!
Here are 12 Family FUN ideas for things to do in March . . . including Fun things to do with your kids at home or around town in Conejo Valley, Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Malibu, Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village, Oak Park, Ventura and Los Angeles Counties plus not too far all over Southern California.
fizkes from Getty Images via Canva
1. Dance to the beat
Did you know March is Music in Our Schools Month? Why stop with school when you can enjoy music anytime - anywhere! Take a look below for ideas and resources to inspire your family to have more musical Fun!
At-home DIY music fun:
- 5 Ways To Use Music With Young Children At Home, and Why It Matters
- Four DIY Musical Instruments Your Kids Can Make
- Volume Up! At-Home Activities That Will Bring Music to Your Ears
Music and Play Classes around town:
- My Gym in Thousand Oaks: An extraordinary place for children 6 weeks thru 13 years of age to develop physically, cognitively and emotionally. From award winning class programs to fantastic birthday parties, your child will have loads of fun. Come see where it all originally started at My Gym Thousand Oaks!!
- Music Together of Agoura Hills: Classes build on your child's natural enthusiasm for music and movement. The "Music Together" experience promotes family bonding and shared joy of music.
Music Lessons, Classes and Instruments in the community:
- Music School To Go of the Conejo Valley: In-home, live online music lessons for children and adults of all ages - a family owned and operated music school.
- Sheri's Piano Place: Piano lessons using the breakthrough Simply Music Piano Method.
- Upstage Theater Schools: Premier musical theatre experiences year‑round in Conejo Valley offering enrichment programs in schools + summer day-camps.
- 123 Rock fun and enriching private music lessons for kids and adults through a unique and inspiring music program tailored to each individual.
- Instrumental Music: A truly unique alternative, since 1979 our staff of musicians and consultants have built long-term relationships with our customers in Ventura county.
- Nick Rail Music: California’s premier school, music dealer sales and rental, providing band and orchestral instruments to both students and professional musicians. Offering instrument repair and maintenance, with our technicians having over 100 years of combined experience!
digitalskillet from Getty Images Signature via Canva
2. Cook together
Did you know March is National Nutrition Month? Make it fun for the whole family by including everyone in the kitchen! The more you involve your kids in the process from start to finish, the more likely they will be to eat healthier. Engage their help with meal planning, kids can help you look for recipes using cookbooks you have at home, head to the library or search online, older kids can be assigned to handle this task on their own. Bring kids along when you go to the store, spend extra time in the produce department, you never know what might peak their interest.
Macaroni KID Tip: One of my favorite things to do is to visit the farmers market with my family, you might even find items that are not available in your grocery store. Talk to the vendors / farmers about their products, encourage your kids to ask questions - maybe even try some free samples!
Local Farmers Markets:
- Thousand Oaks Farmers Market - every Thursday
- Agoura Hills Farmers Market - every Saturday
- Calabasas Farmers Market - every Saturday
- Malibu Farmers Market - every Sunday
- Westlake Village Farmers Market - every Sunday
- Simi Valley Farmers Market - every Friday
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Bite-Sized Sugar Cookie Fruit Tarts "Almost" Too Pretty To Eat
- How to Make Dutch Oven Bread
- Rainbow of Smoothies
- Rainbow Fruit Skewers with Yogurt Dip
- Bento Box School Lunch Ideas
- Say I Love You With This Heart shaped Breakfast
- Corn, Black Bean, and Avocado Salad
- Bananas Turning Brown? Make This Easy Chocolate Banana Bread
- Avocado Your Way: 4 Recipes Using Our Favorite Superfood
- Replace Oil or Butter With Avocado
- Sneak Some Zucchini Into Your Kids' Ice Cream for a Healthy Treat
- How To Make Fresh Peach Fruit Leather In Your Oven With 2 Ingredients
- A Healthy Snack - How to Make Kale Chips With Just 5 Ingredients
- No Added Sugar In These Yummy 2-Ingredient Watermelon Pops
- Make Your Own Healthy Granola
- Macaroni Eats: Frozen Bananas
- Yogurt Drops: A Healthy Snack Your Kids Will Love!
Timurpix from Getty Images via Canva
3. Read a book
March is National Reading Month, reading together as a family is a great way to connect with your kid. Ask grandparents, aunts and uncles to join in the fun too! Independent reading is a great options as well. Even littles can read on their own. . . board books, picture books and cloth books are great for the youngest children in addition to audio books and online read to me options. Kids who are more tech savvy can read online through apps like Epic or through your local library. My youngest son who struggled with reading often enjoys reading online, Many online books have read to me options which is great if they want to focus on the book, reading a book above their level or have learning challenges. If you don't have a lot of books at home or your kids can't find anything that inspires them - visit your local library in-person or online for a world of books. Read Across America: 50 Kids' Books Set in 50 States.
📚 Libraries in Conejo Valley, Malibu, Calabasas and nearby
📚 Resources for Free and Low-cost books for kids or classrooms - Including audio books and read alouds
📚 PJ Library - Free Jewish children's books sent to families across the world every month. Families raising kids from birth through 9 years old with Judaism as part of their lives, are welcome to sign up. Sign up for Grandparents.
📚 Little Free Library map - Community Library boxes where you can give / take books
📚 OPUSD Community Share Libraries - located at each of the six Oak Park Unified School Campuses where you can give / take books.
For even more book resources for your family visit Reading is Fundamental (RIF) for book lists and activities plus your kids can take part in the Million Book March. RIF also has a free app that helps keep track of books read and allows sharing. Another resource is the National Education Association (NEA), they Celebrate Read Across America Day every March 2nd which also happens to be Dr. Seuss' Birthday. Read here to learn more about Dr. Seuss.
- March Collection of books for grades K - 5
- RIF Bingo PDF
- RIF's 40 Book Challenge PDF
- Read Across America - a years worth of books for every age group
the Everett Collection via Canva
4. Honor and Learn about Women in History
March is Women's History Month, it's a great opportunity to inspire, encourage and engage your kids to learn more about the great women who came before us and their many contributions we benefit from today.
🎦 17 Inspiring Movies to Help You Celebrate Women's History Month - Please check the ratings, some movies might not be appropriate for all ages.
📚 Books Celebrating Women's Accomplishments
📚 Diverse Books with Trailblazing Women by Read Across America
5. Go on a mini adventure around town in Conejo Valley, Malibu and Calabasas
Looking for something fun to do with your kids? Explore all the amazing things to do with kids in Agoura Hills, Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, Malibu, Calabasas, Westlake Village, Oak Park and nearby. We have all the resources to help you plan your Family Fun day! Explore local museums or head outdoors for an art hunt adventure, you'll find lots of outdoor public art, sculptures, murals etc. close by. Take a hike, head to the park, hit the beach or go camping - just get outside and enjoy the day together. Take a peek below for lots of helpful resources.
Parks, Beaches and Outdoor exploring:
- Conejo Valley Botanical Garden and Kids Adventure Garden
- Gardens of the World - Thousand Oaks
- Rancho Simi Recreation and Park District - Oak Park and Simi Valley
- City of Calabasas Parks and Trails
- Malibu City Parks
- Alumni Park at Pepperdine - Malibu
- Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area - Los Angeles and Ventura Counties
- Santa Monica Mountains Trails - Los Angeles and Ventura Counties
- Conejo Recreation and Park District - Thousand Oaks and Newbury Park
- Westlake Village City Parks
- City of Agoura Hills Parks
- Conejo Open Space Conservation Agency - Trails and Open Space in the Conejo Valley
- Los Angeles County Beaches and Harbors
- Ventura County Beach Front Parks
- Santa Monica State Beach
- City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks
- California Department of Parks and Recreation
- Take your family birdwatching - read here for helpful information
- Chumash Museum - Thousand Oaks
- Stagecoach Inn Museum: Old-Fashioned Family Fun - Newbury Park
- Leonis Adobe Museum - Calabasas
- Historic Adamson House and Malibu Lagoon Museum - Malibu
- Frederick R. Weisman Museum of Art at Pepperdine - Malibu
- Getty Villa Museum - Pacific Palisades
- Ronald Reagan Library and Museum - Simi Valley
- Santa Susana Depot
- Conejo Cottontails public art - Location Map
- Agoura Hills art in public spaces - printable map - virtual art tour
- Malibu public art
You can find even more public art at many of our local outdoor shopping centers or out in front of community libraries and public spaces including the Civic Arts Plaza in Thousand Oaks.
skynesher from Getty Images Signature via Canva
6. Spring Cleaning!
OK, maybe this isn't your idea of a good time but we all need a good deep spring-cleaning. Why not make it fun? Crank up your family's favorite tunes and give everyone a job to do, engage your kids and make it Fun, even the littles can help! Looking for cleaning tips and tricks, take a peek below?
Check out these helpful articles:
- Spring Cleaning - Back to the Basics: A More Natural Approach to Cleaning Supplies
- 3 Printables to Make Spring Cleaning a Breeze
- Here's How to Tidy Up Your House in Just 5 Minutes a Day
- 6 Ways to Make Cleaning Up with Kids Fun!
- 8 Ways to Get Kids to Help with Chores
- 12 Great Cleaning Hacks We Love
- Get a Jump on Spring Cleaning with these 80 Things to Declutter NOW!
Cameron Truong McClure from Getty Images via Canva
7. Plant some Flowers
Spring is on it's way and March 12 is National Plant a Flower Day! Get the whole family involved - let them help you at every every step of the way. There is nothing most kids like better than digging in the dirt and getting dirty. Important note: be sure what you are planting is native for our area.
Helpful articles and local resources:
- Why Native Plants Matter
- What is a native plant?
- Why Garden with Native Wildflowers?
- Santa Monica Mountains Fund Native Plant Nursery
- Theodore Payne Foundation and Nursery
- Growing Works Nursery - Camarillo
- Buy Native & California Friendly® Plants
JMP Traveler from Getty Images via Canva
8. Have a Pi Day
March 14 (3/14) is Pi Day and Albert Einstein's Birthday! Learn more about this fun and mathematical day. . . including some Family Fun ways to celebrate with your kids including some tasty ones. Enjoy your Pi-e day!
We Have More than 3.14 Ideas on How to Celebrate Pi Day
Neil Aronson from Getty Images via Canva
9. Learn about Butterflies
When I say pollinators you probably think about bees, but butterflies are also pollinators and they can travel even longer distances. March 14 is National Learn About Butterflies Day, so let's learn! Want to help the butterflies? At home consider planting a butterfly garden, scroll up for some helpful resources.
If you want to get your hands dirty helping local butterflies take a look at these volunteer opportunities for your family wit the Santa Monica Mountains Fund.
Inspire your kids to learn more with a butterfly craft / activity:
🦋 Recycled Magazine Butterflies an Easy and Beautiful Craft
🦋 Macaroni Made: Butterfly Garden
12019 from pixabay via Canva
10. Celebrate Spring Festivals
Spring is a time of change and with it comes many significant cultural rituals, holidays and celebrations. Take the time to learn and explore these fun and interesting holidays, check the Macaroni KID Conejo Valley - Malibu - Calabasas event calendar to find local celebrations.
Read more about these March holidays, festivals and cultural days.
☘️ St. Patrick's Day
🌈 Festival of Holi
🌞 First day of Spring / Spring Equinox
🌱 Nowruz / Persian New Year
S847 from Getty Images Pro via Canva
11. Enjoy Strawberries
I don't know about you, but I don't need a special day to enjoy strawberries, but in case you do March 21 is National California Strawberry Day. This day is not only the start of strawberry season, but the beginning of spring. We're fortunate here to have strawberries available for what seems like year round and for sale everywhere. One of my favorite place to pick them up is a local Farmer's Market (see list above), where there are many more varieties available than in the grocery store, they are fresher and you can talk to the farmers. Buy them by the carton or a full or half flat, eat them strait out of the carton, add them to your favorite recipe, make a smoothie, juice them, preserve them, freeze them to enjoy later or get inspired with a new recipe.
Learn about the History of Strawberry Farming in California
Yummy Strawberry Recipes:
🥧 Macaroni Menu: Mom's Strawberry Pie
🍓 Mini Strawberry and Cream Biscuits
🥤 Strawberry Smoothies & Drinks
🍓 5 Super Clean Healthy Strawberry Recipes
🍽️ Main Dish Fresh Strawberry Recipes
Visit this Instagram page below for a few more recipes.
12. Support a locally owned business
It's not easy being a small businesses owner in the best of time, but these last two years have really taken a toll. March 29 is National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day! I try my best to support local independent businesses in my community as much as I can. I have quite a few favorites, but I'm always on the lookout for new ones. Did you know that many national or regional businesses can be locally owned franchises? You know the saying, when you support a local family owned business you are helping to pay for ballet lessons, little league uniforms or just helping them pay the rent. Take the family and head out to your favorite local shop.
Here are a few of my Favorite local small businesses:
Looking for more:
March Holidays, Events, and Observances Not To Miss with your Family!
If you enjoyed this article please share it on Social / forward to a friend 🥰
Find your family fun! Check the Macaroni KID Conejo Valley - Malibu - Calabasas event and activities calendar for more family fun things to do with your kids!
SUBSCRIBE to the Macaroni KID Conejo Valley - Malibu - Calabasas e-newsletter today and have helpful articles and event information sent directly to your inbox every week.
Macaroni KID Conejo Valley - Malibu - Calabasas is a FREE resource for local families looking for fun things to do with kids in Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, Malibu, Calabasas, Oak Park, Newbury Park, Westlake Village and nearby towns in Los Angeles and Ventura Counties.
If you enjoyed this article - Share with a Friend!