Do you ever wonder about the people who live in our communities long before us? Learn and teach your children all about the people native to our community; the Chumash and Tongva / Gabrielino people who lived here in Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park, Westlake Village, Oak Park, Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Malibu and nearby long before most of us.
Learn and teach your children about all the Native people and their cultures who lived all across our great nation and other countries. Native-Land.ca is a great place to start, it's an indigenous-led tool that maps out indigenous territories, treaties, and languages throughout the world.
- Find out more about researching Native Americans
- National Museum of the American Indian
- Mapping Indigenous LA
- Voices of L.A. Nature: An Interview with Alan Salazar
- Voices of L.A. Nature: An Interview with Heidi Harper Lucero
Learn about the first peoples of Northern Los Angeles County
All about their language, culture, history, and more from Tribal President Rudy Ortega Jr.:
Local places where you can go to can learn more about Native Americans:
- Native American Heritage children's and teen fiction and picture books available at the Ventura County Library
- Chumash Indian Museum in Thousand Oaks
- Satwiwa Native American Indian Culture Center in Newbury Park
- Wishtoyo Chumash Village in Malibu (by appointment only)
- Autry National Center in Los Angeles
- Santa Ynez Chumash Museum & Cultural Center - Coming in 2023