Family Fun ways to Celebrate National Ice Cream Month in July

Everything you ever wanted to know about Ice Cream and them some to share with your kids.

By Kyrie Collins, Highlands Ranch-Parker-Castle Rock-Lone Tree Publisher and Brenna Gutell, Conejo Valley - Malibu - Calabasas Publisher July 9, 2022

I scream, you scream, we all scream for Ice Cream! In 1984 President Ronald Reagan declared July "National Ice Cream Month" and the third Sunday of the month "National Ice Cream Day." Grab a bowl, a cone, a scoop or two of your favorite ice cream and enjoy! Not that you need another reason to celebrate but there are even more special "ice cream" related days to celebrate in July! Looking for more things to do to help entertain and engage your kids? we've got you covered. Happy #NationalIceCreamMonth and #NationalIceCreamDay

Where to find Yummy Frozen Treats near Conejo Valley-Malibu-Calabasas

National Ice Cream Days in July:

  • July 1 🍨 Creative Ice Cream Flavors Day
  • July 7 🍓 Strawberry Sundae Day
  • July 16 🍨 Ice Cream Day
  • July 17 🍑 Peach Ice Cream Day
  • July 23  🍦 Vanilla Ice Cream Day, ✨ Sprinkle Day and 🥜 Peanut Butter and Chocolate Day 🍫
  • July 25 🍫 Hot Fudge Sundae Day
  • July 26 ☕ Coffee Milkshake Day

Fun "ice cream" things to do with your kids:

RyanJLane from Getty Images Signatures via Canva

Share these fun facts with your favorite ice cream lover:

  • 90% of American households eat ice cream - I'm guessing the remaining 10% just don't have freezers?
  • Americans eat more than 23 pounds of ice cream and related frozen desserts every year — we're the top ice cream consuming and producing nation in the world.
  • The majority of U.S. ice cream and frozen dessert businesses are family-owned and have been around more than 50 years.
  • California is the nation's largest ice cream producer and also produces more milk than any other state.
  • July is the busiest month for ice cream production and when almost 3/5 of all ice cream is produced followed by June and May. 
  • It takes 12 pounds of whole milk to make one gallon of ice cream.
  • After the stock market crash in 1929 Rocky Road ice cream was created in Oakland, CA to make people smile during "rocky" times, it remains one of the more popular flavors.
  • The world's biggest ice cream sundae was made on July 24, 1988 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It took four hours to create and weighed 54,917 pounds 13 oz!
  • The first ice cream parlor in America opened in 1776 in New York City.
  • Immigrants at Ellis Island were served vanilla ice cream as part of their "Welcome to America!" meal.
  • The first ice cream truck hit the streets in 1920.
  • The most popular ice cream flavors among U.S. consumers are Chocolate, Cookies N' Cream, Vanilla, Strawberry and Chocolate Chip - according to the International Dairy Foods Assoc.
  • Chocolate is the most popular topping.
  • Waffle cones beat out sugar cones, but more people prefer a bowl.
  • 84% prefer to purchase their ice cream at the grocery store and eat it at home.
  • The major ingredient in ice cream is ... AIR! But why so many calories?!
  • 85% of the vanilla beans used for ice cream are harvested in Madagascar.

Want to learn more?

mediaphotos from Getty Images Signatures via Canva

This article was previously published in 2017 and has been updated by Brenna Gutell, Publisher for Macaroni KID Conejo Valley - Malibu - Calabasas.